Whole30

The

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Whole30 Day 28

This morning got us up nice and early; I've got a string of early shifts since one of our chefs is on maternity leave and with graduations and communions, it is getting busy very quickly.  For breakfast, Caveman Medic started a beautiful fluffy omelet filled with arugula, pastured local eggs, and green onion from the Westside Market located in Cleveland.  We make it a point to purchase the bulk of our produce/proteins from there and also the North Union Farmer's Market located in Crocker Park, Westlake. Today at the North Union market, while I was working, the hubs picked up some organic japanese mustard greens, organic swiss chard, pastured ground pork and beef, Tea Hills Farm chicken patties, and as a surprise, some yummy grassfed skirt steak! YUM. That steak is just calling for a juicy marinade and some grill marks.


While I was running around the kitchen at work, I snacked on some leftover Sheppard's Pie we had made the previous night.  We purchased these delightful glass leak proof containers from Marshalls, but you can find them here if you'd rather not sift through the aisles. Our Marshalls does tend to get a bit distracting with the abundance of deals and someone like me, who has ADD does tend to have difficulty keeping track of what she's looking for.....


When we got home, we snacked on some hard boiled eggs I had cooked up earlier this week, and with a dash of salt and fresh cracked pepper, they were in our mouths and soon our tummies felt happy.  I have found the best way to cook eggs (I know I know, everyone has their own PERFECT way.)  I outfit my colander over an inch of water in my "then" pasta pot, put the lid on top of the colander, and steam the little eggs for 13 minutes. Then I plunge them in a bowl of salted ice water until they are cool enough to handle.  The salt brings the temperature of the water even further down, and adds a teensy bit more flavor to the white.  After Whole30 is finished, I will slather these with chipotle tabasco sauce. YUM!


Caveman medic was sweet enough to cook dinner for us tonight, and we *he* did a simple dish of sauteed mustard greens and spinach, with shallots, garlic, and a sprinkle of balsamic vinegar.  





He seasoned some wild salmon with smoked paprika, salt and pepper and seared them in some coconut oil


Here is what we ate for dinner:


I also made some zesty lemon mayonnaise to go on top of it.  Here is the recipe I use:

1 pastured large egg, room temp
1 whole lemon, juiced
2 tsp. ground mustard
a sprinkle of salt
a dash of garlic powder
fresh ground black pepper
1 cup of olive oil OR avocado oil, OR macadamia nut oil.

In a food processor, mix the egg along with the mustard, lemon juice and seasoning til the mixture looks light and frothy.  Then SLOWLY drizzle in the oil of your choosing until a beautiful thick emulsion forms.  Next time I make mayonnaise, I shall take pictures for your enjoyment.  If you don't have time to let your eggs come to room temp, you can safely warm the egg in a bowl of warm water, for about 10 minutes.  I also don't like using EVOO for mayonnaise, as this sometimes is too strong for what I'd like to put it with.  Regular or light olive oil works very well for a clean, undisturbed palate.  You can dress it up any way you'd like, but I love lemony mayonnaise on so many things!

Two more days until the Whole30 is up! Then it's time for BACON. nom nom nom.



1 comment: